For College Football fans this time of year can bring about conflicting emotions. Spring practice is fading away in the rearview mirror and fall practice is still 3 months out. We can’t wait for the season to start, but we don’t want to wish away a summer that is just getting started. I figured this would be a good time to share 16 things about Michigan Football that you can ponder while sifting through the self-imposed sanctions
1. Michigan AD David Brandon, who is drawing rave reviews from everybody, recently announced that Michigan’s agreement with Notre Dame to extend the series for another 20 years was just a verbal agreement. He said it has not been codified to a contract yet. Something is in the works that caused this comment to be made.
2. As the Wolverines navigate the 2010 Schedule they will face 5 teams that are ranked in this post-spring Top 25. Those teams are; (3) Ohio State, (5) Iowa, (9) Wisconsin, (14) Penn State, and (24) Connecticut.
3. Terrelle Pryor (11), Scott Tolzien (11), Adam Weber (15), and Ricky Stanzi (15) all returning Big Ten QBs had more interceptions last year than Tate Forcier (10).
4. EPSNs Bruce Feldman ranked Cam Gordon the #2 hero of spring practice, behind only Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama.
5. Michigan will have a stout offensive line. My projected starters from LT to RT are; Taylor Lewan, Steve Schilling, David Molk, Patrick Omameh, Mark Huyge.
6. Denard Robinson is still fast.
7. Martavious Odoms needs 29 catches to reach 100 for his career.
8. Michigan’s only scholarship kicker, Brendan Gibbons, did little to establish himself as the team’s new kicker at spring practice. From my observations at the spring game, Kris Pauloski and Justin Meram looked like more reliable options.
9. Michigan’ projected starting offense has 1 senior (Steve Schilling), the rest of the unit will return for 2011.
10. The projected starting defense has 4 seniors (Troy Woolfolk, Greg Banks, Jonas Mouton, and Obi Ezeh).
11. Taylor Lewan is nasty.
12. Michigan Football is 17-22 since the passing of Bo Schembechler (11/17/2006).
13. Michigan’s record from 2000 – until the passing of Bo was 63-21.
14. DeMar Dorsey will most likely be playing for Fort Smith Community College this fall (academic issues).
15. Michigan’s 2010 roster breaks down as follows: 12 seniors, 29 juniors, 30 sophomores, and 47 freshmen (includes redshirt and true freshmen).
16. If Michigan returns to a Bowl Game this year and wins they will even their all-time Bowl Record at 20-20.
* Game times and TV have been set for the first 3 weeks of the 2010 season.