Ok, First things first. I saw the Cardinals are in the running for P Roy Oswalt. I saw that Oswalt wants to “go to either St. Louis or Atlanta”. I saw the Cardinals GM John Mozeliak has been negotiating with Houston for the last 3 days. I just want to announce right now that if St. Louis does land him (and I know it’s a long shot) THE PARTY IS AT MY HOUSE!! and everyone reading this is invited.
Now, onto Thursday’s game. I have to give credit where credit is due. The Phillies pitchers absolutely throttled the Cardinals. Led by starter Cole Hamels, the Phillies pitchers combined allowed just 1 hit in 11 innings of play while beating St. Louis 2-0 thus snapping the Cardinals 8 game winning streak.
Not much to say when the team you write about gets just 1 hit in 11 innings you know? A lonely single by Matt Holliday in the 5th inning was all the offense they could muster. That’s why I turned the conversation to tennis (see Redbird Chirps)
The Cardinals will now go to Chicago and play a 3 game weekend series vs. their arch rivals the Cubs. I’ll have a preview of that series up shortly.
* Coming into Thursday’s game, P Adam Wainwright was 10-0 with a 1.31 ERA at home this year. Additionally, he has only allowed 1 earned run in his last 4 appearances.
* Jamie Garcia has not allowed more than 2 runs to any National League team so far this year.
* OF Colby Rasmus is now 3 for 24 (.125) since the All-Star break
* Conversely, C Yadier Molina is 9 for 24 (.375) since the All Star break
* RP’s Mitchell Boggs and Jason Motte both hit 99 MPH on the radar gun on Thursday.
* ….and finally in the “this has nothing to do with the Cardinals” category. I saw Wimbleton hopeful Simona Halep (pictured below) is going to have a breast reduction done in the fall cause her breasts “get in the way of my swing”…which is fine, but I was just wondering if anyone has the name of her doctor so I can call him and see if he can attach the “excess” to my girlfriend ?