Coming off a 20 point win over the Coppin State Eagles this past Friday, the Oklahoma Sooners got ready to begin another game, this time against another Eagles team in North Carolina Central. The Eagles were also coming off a win in their season opener, and came in fired up and looking for another. It was a struggle, but somehow the Sooners found a way to pull it out, winning 71-63 in OT.
The Sooners started out the game the same way they did against Coppin State, sloppy, but this time they couldn’t seem to get out of the rut. The Sooners couldn’t hit anything during regulation while the Eagles where hitting nearly every they threw up, and led by as many as 8. At the break, the score was 35-32 in favor of NCCU.
In the second half the Sooner’s shooting woes continued, while the Eagles remained hot, and were able to maintain their lead throughout most of the second half. With a minute left in the game it seemed there was nothing the Sooners could do, until finally, Steven Pledger hit a shot to pull the Sooners within one, Pledger would also hit the most crucial shot of the game just a few second later, which sent the game into overtime. From then on the Sooners rolled, outscoring NCCU 13-5 in the extra time, on their way to a 71-63 victory, and improving their record to 2-0 on the year.
Player of the Game: My player of the game goes to Steven Pledger. He hit two crucial shots in the final minute of the game, and if it weren’t for him Oklahoma probably wouldn’t have been in the position they were in to win the game. He finished the night with 14 points, while also swiping 3 steals.
- The Sooners shooting was absolutely awful tonight they shot 22-67 from the field while also netting only 4 of their 22 three point shots.
- Defense was also a problem for the Sooners tonight especially against Eagle guard Landon Clement who accounted for 6 of his team’s 8 treys.
- The Sooners rebounding was significantly improved from their season opener, as they pulled down 46 compared to just 36 on Friday.
- Sooner Forward Nick Thompson once again displayed sharp passing tonight, with 7 assists, Thompson also pulled down 12 rebounds.
- Sophomore Andrew Fitzgerald tied his career high from Friday with 22 points, Fitz was just one rebound shy of a double-double with 9.
- Oklahoma forced 20 North Carolina Central miscues on the night.
- Sophomore Carl Blair, as well as Junior TJ Franklin, Sophomore Kyle Hardrick and Freshman Tyler Neal, did not play tonight.
- This was the first game ever played between these two teams and the Sooners start out the series on a high note 1-0
Well the Sooners certainly survived a scare tonight, but at least they won. This game should serve as a great learning experience to the younger guys, which is always a positive. The Sooners next game is Nov. 18th at 7 PM CST against the Texas Southern Tigers. This will be the final home game for Oklahoma before heading off the Lahaina, Hawaii to participate in the Maui Invitational. Well that’s all for now! See ya later and Boomer Sooner!