I want to try and come up with a way to type up a story after what just happened but all I can come up with is this. That was the most pathetic display of football that anybody has had to witness.
I’m not just talking about that last play; that last drive was filled with terrible calls. From the roughing the passer call, to the pass interference call, to the couple of holding calls on the Seahawks, it was just a stretch of some of the worst officiating that has ever been seen.
And it wasn’t even that last drive. It was all game. This wasn’t so much a football game as it was a live show for how bad the NFL needs to fix this referee issue.
Flags all game, terrible calls all game. There is nothing to say at this point.
Enough of that, though, let me try to sum this game up as best as I can.
The Seahawks played outstanding defense all day. They had eight sacks in the first half and they looked completely dominant. The Packers only ran the ball with Cedric Benson two times, which didn’t help Rodgers and the pressure he was facing. Rodgers also didn’t do himself any favors, because he seemed to constantly be looking downfield instead of checking down and making short passes.
But all that changed in the second half.
The Packers came out and ran the ball and they ran it well. The Packers spent the first drive running the ball right at the Seahawks and ended with a field goal. The same thing happened the next drive. Then Rodgers went to work and threw short pass after short pass to move the ball down the field. Benson punched it in to give the Packers the lead that would be ripped away.
The Seahawks defense was outstanding, but don’t the Packers defensive performance. They held the Seahawks in line until that final, referee aided, last drive. They played great and when Seattle was trying to burn the clock in the second half, they held them the three and outs and got the ball back when they needed it.
Mike McCarthy did a great job of making the adjustments at halftime and got this team going again. It would have been a great win, but…
Don’t think I’m trying to take anything away from the Seahawks. They played a hell of a game and look like a great team. Both teams played hard and should be proud of their play. It’s too bad this game had to be ruined.
Here is the bottom line for this game. Both teams played great. Both teams deserved to win. We as fans were robbed of a great game. We should have been talking about the Packers great adjustments, the Seahawks crazy first half on defense, and Wilson’s great bomb at the end of the game. Instead we are talking about this…..
Five things we learned from this game
- The Seahawks are pretty good – While the offense needs work, they got REAL conservative in the second half (aka they only ran the ball) but that defense is legit. The Seahawks are looking good and if Wilson can evolve into that quarterback they think he can be then they will be dangerous.
- Mike McCarthy is a great coach – The adjustments made at halftime by the head coach were just what were needed. McCarthy doesn’t always get the credit he deserves but he earned that win tonight, well until the refs entered the picture.
- Roger Goodell needs to get the real refs back on the field – What more is there to add?
- NFL owners need to push the issue – Goodell isn’t the only guy who should receive heat on this. The owners need to step forward and demand a fix.
- We just had a great game ruined by the replacement refs. If this doesn’t push the issue, what will? – Seriously.