Because of Thanksgiving and traveling I wasn’t able to get a pre game article up so I decided to do a running diary of the game between the Green Bay Packers and the New York Giants. That way, you, the reader, can get a ton of reading material that contains a bunch of rambling and possibly a nice little insight or two! Note to readers: The times listed are the actual times the events happend, not the time in the game.
Here are some pre-game thoughts for the game.
- The Packers need to get out to a lead and fast. The Giants are struggling right now and having the Packers jump out early will only deflate their team more.
- Both of these teams are almost identical in stats, which will create a game that may be decided on whoever screws up first. Not turning the ball over should be a big priority for the Packers.
- Clay Matthews, Sam Shields, Charles Woodson and Greg Jennings are still out for this game. It hasn’t slowed the Packers down, but this could be a game where they feel the loss of those players.
- The Packers need to be up big by the time the fourth quarter starts because the Giants seem to be perfect in the fourth quarter.
- It is hard to see who will have the upper hand in this one. Packers are playing better and have the added motivation of beating the Giants after they knocked them out of the playoffs last year. Giants are playing poorly but are coming off a bye and have home field advantage and always play the Packers close. I hate saying it, but I think the Giants will win this one, but it is really a toss up.
7:22 pm- I’ve been waiting allllllll day for Sundayyyyy night!!!!
7:24 – I changed my mind, the Packers will win on the power of Aaron Rodgers’ mustache.
7:31 – Oh great here comes Eli Manning….It will become very clear that I don’t like Eli Manning by the end of this thing.
7:32 – 99 passes for Eli since his last touchdown. Make that 100.
7:34 – A screen pass that goes 59 yards and misses a touchdown by two yards. Might need to grab the beer early this game….just kidding…well maybe.
7:38 – Crap. Touchdown Giants.
7:39 – So it looks like the Packers will try the two back system. Starks on the first run, Green on the second and Starks back in there for the third play.
7:41 – TOUCHDOWN!!!!! Rodgers to Jordy Nelson! Nelson was able to shake free from Corey Webster and then basically just out ran him. Good pass by the mustache…err Aaron Rodgers.
7:48 – Reason number two why I changed my mind and think the Packers will win, Mike McCarthy’s mustache. Also the defense forcing a three and out after scoring a touchdown.
7:54 – Another miss for Mason Crosby, but this one has to fall on McCarthy. You know he is struggling and this game will be decided by a field goal, why kill his confidence this early? Field goal was just wide but Crosby isn’t going to be gaining any moral victories at this point. Every miss will only mess with his head more.
8:03 – Touchdown Giants…..passing touchdown from Eli…..I feel sick.
Here are the reasons why I dont’ like Eli Manning
- He whined and complained when he got drafted by the Chargers and that image of him pouting on the stage holding that Chargers jersey will be how I always view him.
- He beat the Packers in the playoffs last year.
- He beat the Packers in the playoffs in 2008
Manning is a great player and anybody would be lucky to have him on their team. I just don’t like the guy.
8:08 – Rodgers throws an interception. Giants in great position to add at least a field goal. Don’t feel so good right now.
8:12 – Every time I’m about to type something about the Packers missing Matthews and it hurting their run defense, the Packers stop the Giants on a key running play. Packers stuff Bradshaw on third and two and force the Giants to a field goal. Giants led 17-7.
8:16 – Packers end the quarter by letting Blackburn right straight through the line and getting to Rodgers for a sack. Not a very good last two plays by the Packers.
8:21 – Near interception of Manning but Packers players collide and nobody comes up with the ball, better than a completion I guess.
8:22 – Giants convert third down because Manning has years to throw the football. No pressure from the Packers defense.
8:25 – Another Giants touchdown and NBC is losing their audio. A lose-win situation for me. A man can only take so much Chris Collinsworth.
Also NBC just has salsa music on hand in case Victor Cruz scores?? Is there really a need to pump up a players ego by giving him his own music on national TV when he scores a touchdown?
8:33 – Packers run two plays, get nothing, then run pass play to Kuhn who gets 32 yards. Its nice to see the Packers sticking with establishing a run game, but it’s difficult to watch your team run for three yards over and over again, especially when you are down 17 points.
8:38 – Packers driving the ball and on a first down Finley drops the ball……
8:44 – Packers end drive with a field goal by Mason Crosby. Makes it a two-score game again.
8:49 – Packers with a great defensive stop and will force the Giants to punt, giving them one more chance at scoring before halftime. Just reached the two minute warning and we have to suffer another commercial break so the NFL owners can stuff their pockets and hire replacement refs. (I’m still bitter)
8:53 – Stat says Giants have given up 40 some points in the last two minutes of each half. That is awful but is somehow only third most in the league. This 2-minute drill favors the Packers.
8:55 – Except when Rodgers fumbles….
8:56 – Giants score off a turnover. Take 21 point lead. I’m regretting doing this running diary, now I’m forced to watch and pay attention to the rest of this. Still a lot of game to play but that score really hurts.
9:00 – Part of me is happy I root for smaller market midwest teams. It has to be exhausting having your team scrutinized so much like these New York teams. It must be horrible being a Jets fan this year. Having your team be that bad and having everybody tell you every day and then have everybody try to rationalize why putting in a crappy backup will save your team.
9:02- Packers do nothing with final drive. Down 21 at half. Giants look better in every aspect. Here are some notes from the first half
- The bye week did the Giants wonders. They look completely rested and ready. Also they have the rest of the NFC right where they want them. They pretend to be down and everybody asks, “whats wrong with the Giants?” Meanwhile they use a bye week and come back with strong last couple of weeks and storm into the playoffs and back into the Super Bowl. God, I hate the Giants.
- The Packers can’t handle the Giants pass rush, plain and simple. The Packers also have a minuscule pass rush on Eli. The Packers run defense is doing bad as well.
- Passing game seems to be working, as long as the line holds.
- I still hate Eli and the Giants.
Halftime: Ripping on Collinsworth is easy but NBC has the best halftime and pre-game show. A group of guys who work well together and who are smart and know what they are talking about. Also three guys is perfect for a pre-game show. I can’t handle the ridicoulsy large shows that Fox, CBS, and ESPN do. Also the lack of corny or just downright stupid stuff on NBC really plays to me. I don’t understand why people actually like that “come on man” skit the ESPN guys do.
More injury news. C.J. Wilson is out for the rest of the game for the Packers. Just what they need, more injuries.
9:17 – Rodgers throws a duck, Giants look to have easy interception, ball is bobbled and Finley dives in and catches it. An omen for a good half? Hopefully…
9:19 – …..or maybe not. Rodgers runs into his own guy, gets sacked and Packers will punt. Packers can’t do anything to slow down Giants pass rush.
9:27 – Packers hold Giants and get the ball at their own 8-yard line. Really need to score on offense here, otherwise Packers will be in big trouble. Well bigger trouble than they are already in.
9:30 – Spending time living in an area where the Packers are the number one team sometimes leads to me seeing things like this Facebook status update. “I don’t care that the Vikings lost because the Packers are losing on national television!.” How pathetic of a fan are you that a rival losing is more important than your team winning a key conference game? Maybe I’m just bitter that my team is getting destroyed on national television, but at least the Vikings lost!
9:32 – 2nd and 20, Packers run the ball for three yards…..need to convert a third and 17 or they punt the ball again.
9:33 – Cobb drops the ball and the Packers will punt. Football makes me angry.
9:34 – Back to back punt returns nearly fumbled by the Giants. Packers need a turnover bad. Something to get this team going. At least make it interesting, I’m starting to go into a food coma over here.
9:36 – Whenever I feel I’m being too harsh or rash when talking about my team I go on Internet message boards and realize I’m calm and collected compared to others. Just read a Packers fan say the Packers will lose out because this game will show all their flaws. Yes flaws are being show but not many teams have the talent level of the Giants.
9:42 – Just what we need. Penalties and a challenge so that this game goes until 2 am. Some of us have homework we put off all Thanksgiving weekend!
9:44 – Giants score. This game is basically over. Packers could use a kickoff return or something for a jump start but the Giants are just playing too good tonight.
9:49 – Running the ball is useless at this point. Down 28 points, you have to just throw the ball now.
9:55 – Packers are putting a drive together but the pressure on Rodgers is getting out of hand. He has only seconds to throw the ball or scramble out of the pocket.
9:59 – Packers fail to convert on fourth down. Giants get the ball, I proceed to start crying.
10:02 – At least I’m winning in fantasy football….
10:10 – Salt in the wound. Giants go for it on 4th and 2 and get big passing play.
10:19 – The Giants really went for it on 4th and goal? Stay classy New York. (Another reason to hate this team)
10:21 – Rodgers is sitting the rest of this game out, which gives me permission to check out as well.
Here are some things to take away from the game.
- The Giants were just the better team this game. They clearly used the bye week to rest up and prepare for this game and it shows.
- The Packers really need to come up with a better solution for their offensive line. Injuries make that very difficult, but the Giants were pushing around the Packers line and they didn’t look much better last week against the Lions. In the playoffs the Packers will face teams with good pass rushes and if this is how they perform there won’t be much optimism for the Packers.
- The Packers also need Clay Matthews to get healthy and soon. It is obvious without him on the field that the Packers pass rush and rush defense are far less formidable without him on the field.
The Packers just need to regroup and get ready as they play another division game against the rival Minnesota Vikings next Sunday.