The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been unable to find any post-season success in the past decade, only making the playoffs twice, neither of which were in the past five years. It’s repeated history like this that forces fans to continually ask questions like, “what makes this year any different?”, “is this organization even on the rise?” and “why should I spend my hard earned money to go sit in the Florida sun and bake for three hours when I could sit at home, watch the RedZone channel, sip an ice cold drink and keep up with my fantasy team?”
But these questions, while relevant, aren’t the most important question Bucs fans are asking. That title goes to this question: can this be the year we finally contend in the postseason?
There are only four players still currently on the Bucs roster that were on the roster during Tampa’s last playoff game in 2007: Andrew Economos, Adam Hayward, Davin Joseph, and Donald Penn. Throughout this five-year series of roster tweaks, the front office realized the key to rebuilding isn’t change, it’s effective change, and spending money aimlessly is what got the Bucs to this post-season drought they are currently in. However, the man running the front office, Mark Dominik, seems to have indeed learned his lesson, and has pulled out all the stops to assemble a playoff-worthy roster for 2013.
- Signed Dashon Goldson, S, from San Francisco 49ers (five-year contract)
- Signed Kevin Ogletree, WR, from Dallas Cowboys
- Signed Jonathan Casillas, LB, from New Orleans Saints
- Signed Derek Landry, DT, from Philadelphia Eagles
- Signed Brian Leonard, RB, from Cincinnati Bengals
- Acquired Darrelle Revis, CB, from New York Jets for 2013 1st round pick
- Acquired Jeff Demps, RB, from New England Patriots for LeGarrette Blount
- Acquired Gabe Carimi, OT, from Chicago Bears for 2014 6th round pick
- Selected Jonathan Banks, CB, in the second round
- Selected Mike Glennon, QB, in the third round
- Selected Akeem Spence, DT, in the fourth round
- Selected William Gholston, DE, in the fourth round
- Selected Steven Means, DE, in the fifth round
- Selected Mike James, RB, in the sixth round
Current Depth Chart:
[table id=504 /]
[table id=505 /]
So is 2013 the year? Is the wait finally over? Is this the year we finally contend for a championship? Well, if I could answer those questions you’d probably be paying me to tell you winning lottery numbers instead of telling you about sports, but I believe the key to that last question was the word “contend”. Barring injury, the Bucs have the talent to be one of the top 12 teams in the NFL at the end of the regular season. This was just an overview of the current roster, but in weeks to follow I’ll breakdown the roster position-by-position to see if the Bucs have the right talent in the right places to extend their season into January.