The Detroit Red Wings will end their 22-year playoff streak if at least half of the 22 reasons below are proven to be true. Because stats aren’t everything in hockey, I had to include a few subjective excuses to cover the heart and passion aspect of the game.
The Detroit Red Wings won’t make the playoffs if…
22. There isn’t an octopus thrown at Joe Louis Arena on opening night, October 2nd.
21. The Detroit Tigers win the World Series and the Detroit Pistons make the playoffs.
20. Joe Louis Arena has a capacity percentage for the season below 90 percent.
19. The Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators both finish with more than 95 points.
18. Niklas Kronwall averages less than 15 minutes of ice time per game.
17. They have a 7 game pointless streak any time during the season.
16. They rank worse than 25th in the NHL in scoring on the power play.
15. They rank worse than 25th in the NHL in allowing other teams to score on the power play.
14. They have more than 1,000 penalty minutes as a team at the end of the season.
13. They lose 15 or more games in overtime and shootouts combined.
12. A player scores more than 60 goals during the season.
11. Gustav Nyquist and Joakim Andersson both end up with the same point totals as last season (6 and 8 respectively).
10. They get fewer than 30 points out of the 30 games they have against their Atlantic Division opponents.
9. Justin Abdelkader spends more time in the penalty box for fighting than he does standing in front of the net.
8. Stephen Weiss puts up similar numbers as he had last year as Florida Panther.
7. Daniel Alfredsson gets moved up to play on the 1st line.
6. Brendan Smith and Danny DeKeyser have a plus/minus rating below -15 combined at the end of season.
5. They come away pointless in their 5 games with the Florida Panthers.
4. They lose more than half of their games at Joe Louis Arena.
3. Jimmy Howard lets in an average of 3 goals or more per game.
2. Mike Babcock gets fired.
1. Pavel Datsyuk or Henrik Zetterberg get seriously injured and miss a majority of the season.
Remember, as a safety net, I said at least 11 of these reasons need to be true for the Red Wings to miss the playoffs.
Do you have any more reasons that I may have missed? Leave them in the comments below.