After less than a year as manager Ian Holloway and Crystal Palace have parted company by mutual consent.
Speculation had been rife about Holloway’s future at Palace after Monday night’s 4-1 defeat to Fulham at Selhurst Park continued the Eagles poor start to the season. Palace have just one win and seven losses in eight games so far in the Premier League.
Palace Chairman Steve Parish said “Ian felt that a new approach might help keep us in the division.
I was more than happy to get relegated and come back up with Ian. The word ‘sacked’ has never been mentioned among the directors.”
Holloway said “ I hold myself and Steve responsible. I didn’t value enough the spirit of the group that helped us get to the Premier League.
“I’ve lost the spirit of that group. I owe it to the lads to admit that. What I say at half-time normally has an effect on people, but on Monday, it didn’t.
“This club needs an impetus of energy, but I just feel tired to be honest. I’m worn out. All I can do is be as honest as I can and wish everyone at the club well. I need a bit of time to chill out with the family, but I will look out for Palace’s scores. I could never work any harder than I have done.
“I’m not saying my new signings aren’t good enough. But they need to buy into this football club the same way my other lads did.”
The former Blackpool boss joined Palace in November 2012 and won promotion to the Premier League after beating Watford in the Play-off final. The Eagles had a busy summer bringing in 16 new players as Holloway looked to build a side that could survive.
The 50-year-old served a two match touchline ban after accept a charge of improper conduct and bringing the game into disrepute after comments made to the media following his sides opening day defeat to Tottenham.
Holloway is the second top-flight boss to leave his club this season after Paolo Di Canio left his post at bottom of the league Sunderland last month.