New York Giants: Rodgers-Cromartie saddles up for 5-year contract

With Hakeem Nicks bowing out of another season with the New York Giants and a series of major changes underway, New York has publicized its newest team addition: cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

After being offered a position by the Jets as well, Rodgers-Cromartie has decided to sign a five-year contract with the Giants. It’s not hard to see why New York wanted him. Did he have a good 2013 season? Check. Did they need a good cornerback? Check. Do they need a stronger secondary and a little Denver magic to rub off on them? Check and check.

This isn’t to say that Rodgers-Cromartie is the best player in the NFL and that the Giants couldn’t absolutely do without him, but it doesn’t matter. It’s not really about that. The Giants will take what they can get, and Rodgers-Cromartie has proven his worth with the Broncos and elsewhere. He has started all nine postseason games. He’s racked up a total of 239 tackles in his NFL career and 19 interceptions. Not bad. Not bad at all.

And let’s not forget that Rodgers-Cromartie is one of the best cornerbacks in free agency this season, and the Giants have been increasingly proactive in coveting new players to step up their game.

Rodgers-Cromartie

But is it really all about Rodgers-Cromartie? After all, the Giants did also decide to sign Trindon Holliday, former kick returner for the Denver Broncos. Maybe Tom Coughlin’s just taking a page out of John Fox’s playbook and picking up the pieces on his trail of broken players, hoping to have a similar season this year.

Insane conspiracy theories aside, Rodgers-Cromartie is definitely an asset to the Giants. His addition has made New York’s secondary a lot stronger than it was before. Even after getting decked pretty hard by Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, Rodgers-Cromartie hasn’t seemed to have veered off his game much.

But why did he pick the Giants? There is, of course, the fact that the Broncos went after Aqib Talib as their new cornerback for the 2014 season, but aside from that what is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) bargaining chip in the NFL?

Money.

The contract Rodgers-Cromartie has signed has been valued at $35 million. It’s a great opportunity and a lot of cash, and it’s doubtful that it would have been easy for him to drop it like it’s hot.

And everyone will just have to see wait and see if it was worth it.

Comments

1. Dugoutdog says

Yea, perhaps you know football, and maybe you know you can save 15% on your car insurance with a 15 minute phone call too, but do you know that proper English is: “has proven” and not “has proved”? Ha ha.

• hend salah says

Lol. Thanks for catching the typo. The one letter I accidentally wrote instead. Bravo. I suppose I’m illiterate and you’re a genius, even though you’re correcting me but don’t realize that punctuation goes inside quotations. Congratulations, genius.

• Dugoutdog says

Oh my! Do I detect the scent of sour grapes? My comment was made in a humorous vein, but yours was flat-out malicious. Nevertheless, you just had to go and do it again; didn’t you? First the misused tense in the article you tried to white wash with a typo excuse, and now an inaccurate punctuation claim.

Allow me to take you back to fourth grade English class. Apparently you were home sick or simply not paying attention when the teacher covered the following material. The punctuation mark goes inside the quotation marks only when it is part of the quote. If the written sentence is a question which contains a phrase enclosed in quotation marks, the punctuation mark is placed outside the quotation marks. See the following examples:

1) Johnny asked his mother, “Mom, when are we having lunch?” (Note the punctuation is enclosed within the quotation marks because it is part of Johnny’s sentence.)

2) Wouldn’t you say the “global warming theory” has merit? (Note the punctuation is placed outside of the quotation marks.) Here the quoted phrase is not at the end of the sentence. This is to demonstrate that the question mark is placed in the same manner as:

3) Do you place any merit to the “global warming theory”?

You’re really not very adept at this writing thing are you? In your efforts to admonish me, you simply served to embarrass yourself. Warning: Never take a water pistol to a gun fight. I hope you’re not a journalism major, but don’t despair. I understand Walmart is hiring.

– The Genius

• Hend Salah says

In every college class I have taken, it goes inside the quotation. How was your comment in any way humorous? You pretty much attacked my intelligence over one word, mocked me with a Geico reference and told me I don’t know how to use proper English. How is that funny? It’s just mean.

I wrote this article at 2 am, after going to work and studying for three exams. I’m sorry if I can’t be absolutely perfect all the time. People make mistakes, but you just had to go and pick on one letter?

Again, in every college class there is, specifically in Journalism (which is pretty much what’s going on here) punctuation is always, always inside the quotes. You went to great lengths just to say I’m an idiot?

Do not pretend like your comment was meant to be humorous. It was a total troll comment you just being rude. You couldn’t be nice about it? You want to turn it on me, fine. Go ahead.

Just know that I wrote nothing offensive in this article for you to be so rude. I really can’t believe you’re claiming my comment was worse than yours.

And if my writing is so bad, how have I landed three internships and three journalism jobs in the past few years of my college career? Oh, all those editors are just stupid, right?

2. ScottPeceny says

Nice article Hend. We’ll see if DRC proves to be worth the hefty contract. CBs making bank this offseason, that’s for sure.

• Hend Salah says

Thanks! Honestly, I think that maybe it was a little too much change for DRC to be handed. Then again, I’m a huge hater on NFL players and how much they make. XD