Seattle Seahawks: Predicting the 53-man roster

The Seattle Seahawks front office has to make tough cuts as the NFL regular season comes near. The Seahawks have a tremendous amount of talent at every position so any player who gets cut is sure to be picked up by another team. With most injuries aside, below is my version of Seattle’s 53-man roster.

Offense (25)

Quarterbacks (2)

"<strong

Russell Wilson

Tarvaris Jackson

There is no doubt Wilson will be the Seahawks starting quarterback. I think Jackson will beat Terrelle Pryor for the backup position for several reasons. Jackson has five years more experience than Pryor. He is familiar with the Seahawks offense and he got to play in the Super Bowl. Pryor is athletic, but I do not think he is reliable or consistent.

Running Backs (3)

"<strong

Marshawn Lynch

Robert Turbin

Christine Michael

Once again, the Seahawks running game will be one of the best. I wouldn’t be surprised if Seattle rotates between the trio to lighten Lynch’s load and evaluate Turbin and Michael. With Lynch’s contract soon to expire, coaches should take time to see how Turbin and Michael can perform on the field.

Full Backs (2)

"<strong

Derrick Coleman

Spencer Ware

Although Ware has been playing as a running back this preseason, I don’t think  there is much room for him on the roster to play solely at that position. Kiero Small is the only true fullback on the Seahawks roster and I expect him to be on the practice squad.

Receivers (5)

"<strong

Doug Baldwin

Percy Harvin

Jermaine Kearse

Paul Richardson

Bryan Walters

I have a difficult time listing the receivers who will make the cut because there is a lot of depth. I like Phil Bates, but I’m putting Walters on the roster because he has shown he can return the ball well. Bates will be on the practice squad as Kevin Norwood will be placed on injured reserve or the PUP list for a foot injury.

Tight Ends (3)

"<strong

Zach Miller

Luke Willson

Rashaun Allen

I like Cooper Helfet, but after a shoulder injury against the Chicago Bears I think his spot on the roster could be questionable. I would consider him on the practice squad because he’s had a good preseason when healthy and it would be unfortunate to lose him.

Offensive Line (10)

Seahawks Offensive Line

LT Russell Okung

LT Alvin Bailey

LG James Carpenter

LG Wade Smith

C Max Unger

C Lemuel Jeanpierre

RG J.R. Sweezy

RG Stephen Schilling

RT Justin Britt

RT Eric Winston

Tackle Garry Gilliam along with guards Nate Isles and Caylin Hauptmann are sure to make the practice squad. The only reason Winston is in Seattle is for insurance if Britt doesn’t meet expectations. Once Britt gets the hang of playing in the NFL, which I expect will take the entire season, Winston will be gone and Gilliam can move into a roster spot next year.

Defense (25)

Defensive Line (10)

"<strong

LDE Michael Bennett

LDE Greg Scruggs

LDE Cassius Marsh

LDT Tony McDaniel

LDT Kevin Williams

RDT Brandon Mebane

RDT Jordan Hill

RDE Cliff Avril

RDE O’Brien Schofield

RDE Benson Mayowa

Another player I’m adding to the practice squad is tackle Jimmy Staten. There is a lot of veteran talent at this position Staten can learn from in order for him to make the roster next season.

Linebackers (6)

"<strong

LOLB Bruce Irvin

LOLB Mike Morgan

MLB Bobby Wagner

MLB Brock Coyle

ROLB K.J. Wright

ROLB Malcolm Smith

Since O’Brien Schofield can play defensive end and outside linebacker, I think Jackson Jeffcoat and Korey Toomer will be put on the practice squad list.

Cornerbacks (5)

"<strong

Richard Sherman

Jeremy Lane

Byron Maxwell

Tharold Simon

Phillip Adams

I imagine Lane playing at nickel back. DeShawn Shead can play cornerback as well as safety. Eric Pinkins is placed on injured reserve as well.

Safeties (4)

"<strong

SS Kam Chancellor

SS Jeron Johnson

FS Earl Thomas

FS DeShawn Shead

The last player I am putting on the practice squad is Terrance Parks. Johnson proved he could make an impact like Chancellor and, as I mentioned above, Shead is a great asset for Seattle since he can play several positions.

Specialty (3)

"<strong

K Steven Hauschka

P Jon Ryan

LS Clint Gresham

Is there anyone you thought I missed on my roster projection? Who do you expect will make the cut? Let me know in the comments below.

Comments

1. Ira says

Farwell will hit the IR I expect and this will open up a spot for Brock Coyle. I like Lockette over Walters especially after losing HF to injury, we will need a SP captain and Lockette fits the bill. Toomer over Morgan at LB…and finally Matowa hits Practice squad and they carry Pryor as a 3rd QB in his rostre spot to replace Jackson when his contract is up.

2. Max says

Max • a day ago
    (I thought I would like to share something I wrote the other day for Ken Kosirowski’s article that you might have missed Holli. p.s. You and Ken would make a cute couple.) This team is so well coached, so willing to put in the work, so willing to make the sacrifices, so talented, so deep, so committed to winning, so athletic, so fast, so physical, so supportive of each other, so grateful to their fan’s, so committed to excellence, so loves playing the game of football…So expect back to back championships! see more

3. Max says

Lockette is a lock. He is a great gunner and has vastly improved at wide receiver. He has speed and power that you can’t teach. As much as I like Farwell, you can’t keep a 33 year old linebacker when your loaded with young talent. Jordan Hill hasn’t showed me anything. I love game four of the preseason, because these bubble guy’s are playing for their football lives. It makes for good drama, and you often see some amazing plays.

4. Bo Radley says

Interesting choices. It isn’t a matter of reloading…but a matter of recharging the batteries. I’m glad I’m not the coach! I think I’d keep a number of players, knowing they were not going to make the final roster, to keep them off other rosters! I can see a few of the cast-offs that would be on the starting lineup of a few squads.

5. Frank Buckner says

If Toomer has a good game next game I think he will beat Mike Morgan. Mike Morgan hasn’t done really much to prove he belongs on the roster. Also I think they should cut Lockette for hanging out with 9ers even though he been playing good. I also think Norwood should go on injured reserve just cuz he didn’t get to do anything this preseason. They put Toomer on injured reserve past 2 seasons.

6. Ken Hanson says

Ricardo Lockette and A.J Jefferson for their special teams play. Bates to the practice squad. I’d keep Farwell over Williams because Marsh has proven he can rush inside and Farwell is a special teams beast. Even so, I would bet more than half of the players who miss the cut will be picked up by other teams.

7. Marc Edge says

this is an excellent analysis . . . special teams will dictate many close calls . . . if ET is going to return punts, I suspect Lockette may sneak back onto the roster . . . I also wonder if they will try to keep both Farwell and Coyle, perhaps at the expense of Mayowa or Hill

8. Mike O. says

What about A J Jefferson CB. I know he got injured but his pick was sweet. He deserves a spot and he should be ready to go to start the season I would imagine.

• Holli says

Things are moving quickly with Seattle’s cuts. As soon as this article was published the news broke that Jeffcoat and Terrell Thomas were cut. They’ll be picked up by other teams.

9. Sub 4.0 says

Holli, I think Ricardo Lockette makes the roster instead of Walters. He’s more valuable on specials teams and has proven himself to be a capable receiver when called upon. I agree with you, the receiver position is a tough call after the top four. Also, I don’t think the Seahawks will risk losing Gilliam by trying to place him on the practice squad. Some other team will grab him before he makes it there. I think they will keep him on the 53 man roster and cut Wade instead. Thanks for the article. Keep up the good work.

• Holli says

You make a great point on Lockette. I truly have a hard time deciding who will and will not make it. I’m excited to see how the coaches handle the cuts. Every player brings a lot of talent. Thanks for your input and compliments!