If you play tennis on a grass court, it’s important to find a supportive and grippy pair of tennis shoes that will boost your on-field performance.
In fact, with potentially moist conditions and jam-packed action, a solid shoe is essential to maintaining safety and stability.
If you’ve ever played grass-court tennis in regular sneakers, you probably already know how sore and miserable your feet can feel after wearing the wrong footwear. If you want to avoid a trip to the podiatrist, consider investing in a quality pair of grass-court shoes.
Not only will quality kicks help you achieve new heights as an athlete, but they’ll have you looking fresh on and off the court.
Best Grass Tennis Shoes in 2023 Review
We’ve compiled a list of the top three grass-court tennis shoes so that you finally show the competition how real serves and volleys are done!
1. ASICS Men’s Gel-Resolution 7 – Most Supportive Grass Tennis Shoes (Editor’s Choice)
What’s more, these shoes are backed by gender-specific midsoles, offering some of the most tailor-made ergonomics on the market. Yet another mainstay for grass-court players, Asics Gel-Resolution 7 Tennis Shoes boast low-cut ankles with snug-fitting Flexion uppers. The shoe hugs the foot at every angle, offering unrelenting support and comfort without compromising flexibility.
An external heel counter and proprietary PGuard Toe Protector fight back against abrasions. Meanwhile, chunky rubber soles with cross-sections of herringbone tread give players added stability with every step.
While grass courts are somewhat forgiving, rear and front Gel cushions help eliminate the shock of harsh landings and repetitive motions.
Learn more about the best Asics tennis shoes in our review.
Nike’s Court Lite Tennis Shoes are one of the company’s top-selling grass-court footwear options. These low-cut sneaks boast thick ergonomic soles with reinforced yet flexible synthetic uppers.
It comes as no surprise to find these models on almost every list and if you are interested to expand on it and go further than what we offer in this article, simply click here. You will find more high-quality tennis shoes.
Meanwhile, a breathable layer of mesh ensures that moisture can work its way out during even the most intensive outdoor sessions.
Comfort and Durability
The Nike grass-court tennis shoe is reinforced in all the right places. It has an added layer of abrasion-resistant material in both the toe area and heel.
What’s more, heel-to-toe phylon midsoles make for cushiony shock absorption during hard serves and volleys. On top of that, the shoes’ water-resistant exterior is super easy to clean.
Don’t miss our review of the best Nike tennis shoes.
Find out which are the best tennis shoes for different types of courts in our review.
3. Adidas Men’s Approach – Best Tennis Shoes for Grass Court
Of course, Adidas’s signature padded heel patch and triple striped uppers make them super popular as street shoes too. These low-cut Adidas sneakers were originally released in 2018. Yet, they’ve continuously won over the hearts of grasscourt players thanks to their thick non-slip herringbone rubber soles and padded synthetic uppers.
Inside the Approach, a dense Adiprene cushion helps prop up a player’s forefoot, while a thick EVA midsole provides heel-to-toe cushioning.
The uppers are padded and thick, though they provide a tight fit for enhanced stability. Meanwhile, the flat, shallow herringbone rubber soles provide a generous lockdown without collecting clumps of grass and dirt. What’s more, the toes area is reinforced with abrasion-resistant Adituff, one of Adidas’s proprietary hard-wear athletic materials.
Find more in our article about the best Adidas tennis shoes.
How to Choose Grass Court Tennis Shoes
It’s important to choose your tennis shoes based on the type of court you play on. When it comes to grass courts, a serve-and-volley style of playing requires rapid foot movements and hard landings.
When this is combined with moderately moist and sometimes unpredictable outdoor conditions, a grippy yet flat shoe with flexible wear-resistant uppers is exactly what a player needs. Curious as to what exactly that means? Read along to discover the elements that go into making the perfect grass court tennis shoes!
A grass-court tennis shoe needs to be grippy enough to prevent a player from slipping, yet flat enough that it won’t tear up the court.
Anything remotely cleat-like is out of the question, leaving shallow herringbone and cross-directional treads as the leaders in this category.
Finally, when it comes to quality outdoor outsoles, rubber is the number one material.
Competitive serve-and-volley players make fast moves, abrupt turns, and hard landings. For all this, a thickly cushioned midsole is an absolute necessity.
As always, we recommend dense EVA or gel padding that provides exceptional coverage in the heel and toe areas.
Outdoor shoes need plenty of fortification. Yet, grass-court players also need to maintain their flexibility for fast angled plays. As such, we recommend thick synthetic uppers that are similar to the ones on most running or basketball shoes.
Of course, be on the lookout for mesh panels and circulation holes that can successfully channel out moisture and heat.
If you’re torn between a few different pairs of grasscourt tennis choose, we suggest you go with the Adidas Approach.
While these were initially released in 2023, they have continuously won fans over with their durable synthetic uppers and cushioned soles.
Their stylish exterior has even earned them a place as streetwear. Though, in our option, pavement fails to bring out their incredible athletic prowess!
Before you go check some of these models suitable for playing tennis:
- Babolat Men's Propulse Blast All Court Tennis Shoes
- All court shoe
- Upper material: Mesh
- Inner material: Textile
- Running sole: Rubber
- FlyteFoam Midsole Technology - Our FlyteFoam technology provides exceptional bounce back and responsiveness no matter the distance, utilizing organic super fibers to help reduce packing out that traditionally happens with softer, low density foams.
- AHAR Outsole - Acronym for ASICS High Abrasion Rubber. Placed in critical areas of the outsole for exceptional durability.
- Twisstrust System -
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle.
- Removable Sockliner - A sockliner which can be removed to accommodate a medical orthotic.
- adidas male tennis Shoe
- The adidas brand has a long history and deep-rooted Connection with sport. Everything we do is rooted in sport
- Driven by a relentless pursuit of innovation as well as decades of accumulating sports science expertise, we cater for all, from elite professional athletes and teams to any individual who wants to make sport part of their lives
- Sensifeel features a minimally layered upper to upgrade comfort while maintaining superior support
- DF1 provides optimal low-to-the-ground court feel for agility and explosive acceleration (DF1 = HT Drop 6mm)
- 3D-FS delivers unparalleled support, increased response time and explosive acceleration with controlled deceleration
- Endofit provides enhanced comfort, stability and an intuitive fit through a full inner sock construction
- Pro Torque Chassis uses arch technology to provide torsion control and stability for explosive acceleration
- The Hypercourt Express is a lightweight tennis shoe designed for performance and comfort.
- Synthetic Leather Upper
- Textile Collar Lining
- Lace Closure
- Draggaurd Rubber & Aosta Rubber Outsole